[xmonad] Project to make tiling window managers more accessible to newcomers

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:38:18 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Jan Vornberger
<Jan.Vornberger at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:36:23AM -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
>> Will you be contributing back changes/modifications/... to the main
>> xmonad source? What else can we do to help your effort?
>
> Oh, one question that just came to mind: What are your suggestions in
> terms of how to set up the development environment? Are you usually
> using something like Xnest to test XMonad during development?
> And is it really necessary to run through the whole 'configure, build,
> install' process everytime there is a code change, like the 'xmonad
> development tutorial' on the wiki suggests?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

I don't think that's so bad. Alias the configure-build-install to a
single command, and then it's just a matter of alias mod-q. Doesn't
seem too bad to me; even interpreter based window managers like
StumpWM still require a keystroke or two to load it into the live
image.

--
gwern