[xmonad] Segfault

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Apr 17 05:15:33 EDT 2009

jim:
> At Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:57:32 +0100 (BST),
> Jim Burton wrote:
> >
> > At Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:23:49 -0500,
> > Spencer Janssen wrote:

> > [snip]

> > > We need information to see what is going on.  The most likely problem is a
> > > miscompiled xmonad, try cleaning, rebuilding, and reinstalling xmonad and
> > > contrib.  Finally, execute "xmonad --recompile".
> > >

> > Thanks for your reply. I already rebuilt but will try xmonad
> > --recompile.
> >
> > > If the problem persists, try to get a stack trace.
> > >

> > How do I do this?
> >

> Can anyone tell me how to get a stack trace when xmonad crashes or
> otherwise diagnose my problem? The problem does indeed persist and I
> don't know if it's a known bug etc.

The main way is to attach gdb to the core, and we'll see if it is in
Haskell code (meaning a GHC bug or FFI binding error), or in X11 code (X
bug?).

The most important thing is to list GHC versions, X11 versions, Haskell
library versions, and to ensure it is clean build.

Then, narrow down the extensions you're using to find the smallest set
that produces the error.