[xmonad] OO.o won't open, Dialogs and GIMP won't float/tile right

Dayo Adewunmi contactdayo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:49:07 EDT 2009

Hi guys.

I love Xmonad. Installed it on my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop a couple of days
ago for the first time, so I'm still a newbie. I managed to add Xmobar,
by following the installation instructions from here:
http://code.haskell.org/~arossato/xmobar/#installation and using the
config example from here:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/John_Goerzen's_Configuration#Configuring_xmonad_to_use_xmobar

My modifier is Alt, so I press Alt+p to start apps from the grey menu
bar that appears at the top of the screen, and so far the only one that
won't start is OpenOffice3.

Also, I have to start GIMP 2.6 in a dedicated workspace, because it just
won't tile correctly with other open apps.
Dialog prompts like "SaveAs" and "Open" of various apps don't float
right either, leaving the "Save", "Open", "Cancel" buttons hanging out
of sight below the visible line of the screen.

Also pressing Alt+Enter is said to switch the active frame with the
frame in the Master pane, but this stopped working after some editing of
xmonad.hs (or .xmobarrc?). Unfortunately, I can't remember what changes
I made that caused Alt+Enter to stop working.

Here are my specs and configs:

~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs: http://pastebin.com/f5e107f70
~/.xmobarrc: http://pastebin.com/febe32b4

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
Linux 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:57:48 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Regards

Dayo