[xmonad] moving windows with mouse and named workspaces

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:25:20 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I am new to Xmonad, coming to it from other tiling wm (wmii for the
last year or so, ion before that). I am very much enjoying it (the
feel, the intuitiveness, the great docs, the large number of extra
available stuff, etc), but I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to move (and resize) windows with the mouse? This is
immediate in wmii (and also doable in awesome). I have found some info
in the mailing list, but I am not still fully clear about how to do
it.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/4491/match=mouse+resize

2. A feature I miss a lot from wmii is the creation of workspaces "on
the fly", with whatever name I care to use. Then, I can move to that
workspace by name. When I am done there (i.e., it gets emptied) it
disappears automagically.  (To be more clear, this is an example of
usage: say Mary comes for help on some analysis; I create a new
workspace called "Mary", and there I fire up xterm, emacs, whatever.
That remains open maybe for days, until done. In the meantime, Fred
might come along with another different request;  I creat a workspace
for Fred. And, of course, I've kept open for the last months the
workspace named "web", etc, etc. It is easer for me to move around by
"name" than remembering where I left the emacs session with Mary's
analysis).

If searched and found a few hits, but again I do not see how to actually do it:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/2727/match=name+workspaces
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/883/match=name+workspaces

Thanks for such a nice piece of work.

Best,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Structural Biology and Biocomputing Programme