[xmonad] Bluetile

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 00:47:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Jan
Vornberger<Jan.Vornberger at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de> wrote:
>> - XMonad.Hooks.WorkspaceByPos
>>     No idea. What I did notice is that it looks like it could use the Maybe monad!
>
> WorkspaceByPos is only useful in dual-head setups. If you open a new
> window it looks at the position where it wants to go and moves it to the
> correct workspace - as opposed to just assigning it to the active
> workspace. That's also very helpful when starting up in a dual-head
> setup. If you already have windows open and then start Bluetile, they
> are correctly assigned to the two visible workspaces, instead of all
> being moved onto one workspace.

Hm. The one it 'wants to go' to? You mean some apps detect that there
are multiple physical screens and choose to go to #2 instead of #1, or
something? (What apps do this, and why?)

>> - XMonad.Layout.WindowSwitcherDecoration
>>    looks like a module to use a mouse to 'drag' a window onto another and swap their positions
>
> That's correct.

Cool. I could actually use that one since I don't always remember what
the exact right command is to move stuff around.

--
gwern