[xmonad] Re: Issue 197 in xmonad: Blocking on nextEvent stops other threads from running

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Dec 1 23:46:29 EST 2009

Updates:

Comment #7 on issue 197 by SpencerJanssen: Blocking on nextEvent stops
other threads from running

Reasons we'd rather not build with -threaded:
  - it isn't necessarily supported on all platforms (though the important
ones, like
x86 Linux do support it)
  - it uses more CPU in idle states, this will drain your laptop's battery
more quickly
  - multi-threaded xlib is a nightmare

In regards to amdragon's situation, I think it is a violation of separation
of
concerns to output non-xmonad status from xmonad.  Rather, it is better to
run the
clock separately and use some sort of multi-plexer to put the two streams
together.
See xmobar for a nice application of Haskell's concurrency to combine
streams from
disparate asynchronous sources.

> Perhaps a better option is if somebody put the effort into porting xmonad
> to xhb
instead?

This may not be feasible.  At the very least it would be quite a bit of
work and
would require removing some features (xft, for example)