[xmonad] Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Dec 7 19:30:30 EST 2009

Hi,

Am Montag, den 07.12.2009, 14:34 -0700 schrieb Wirt Wolff:
> I strongly agree. Bluetile should be runnable as a self-documenting
> application not needing ghc to be installed, in fact not even being
> configurable except through its own interface. As Jan has stated from
> first design goals: (for its target audience's needs) its defaults
> should be so usable that there is no need to modify or customize it.

with my Debian maintainer head on: It does not matter much to me whether
the bluetile code resides in xmonad-contrib or a package of its own, I
can (and will) create a stand alone bluetile binary package either ways.

> Thanks for bearing with the long-winded saying of:
> * Yes I agree they should continue as synced separate projects.
> * Some of the bluetile server commands should be available from contrib.
> * There should be a bluetileConfig providing all but the dock and greeter
> bits from bluetile. As much as possible normal Config.Foo customization
> methods should work, and any deviations be well documented and include
> integration helper functions if needed.

The gtk2hs dependency already forces a split, so don’t worry too much
about what parts go where: People who want a bluetile-based custom
configuration will probably need the bluetile package anyways. Having as
much stuff as possible in xmonad-contrib is good, but not critical.

bluetileConfig would then come in two variants: one in the bluetile
package with the real, full and official configuration of the bluetile
binary, and one (“bluetileLikeConfig”) in xmonad-contrib which
approximates the bluetile experiences as much as possible without extra
dependencies on a bluetile package or gtk2hs.

Greeings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner