[xmonad] Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Wed Dec 9 18:16:04 EST 2009

Jan.Vornberger:
> Hey!
>
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 05:53:29PM -0600, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> > In the past we've saved all new features for major releases, with these
> > releases fairly far apart.  The next major release of xmonad is 1.0, which
> > is potentially months away considering some of the things we have in mind.
> > My hunch is that you'd rather not wait so long.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > We could make a minor release as soon as 1-2 weeks, with more releases
> > on a monthly basis as needed.
>
> Your hunch is right. :-) But a timeframe of 1-2 weeks sounds great.
>
> > I do think we ought to have XMonad.Config.Bluetile.  I'm certain that at least
> > some Bluetile users will want to configure it a bit, so we'll need an upgrade
> > path.
>
> I agree, so I just pushed two patches, one of them containing
> XMonad.Config.Bluetile and the other BluetileCommands, which I
> previously mentioned is used to remote-control Bluetile.
>
> So the only thing not in xmonad-contrib is now the dock application,
> which won't go in anyway, because of the gtk2hs dependency.
> But except for that, with XMonad.Config.Bluetile you can now get pretty much
> the same thing as with the 'real' Bluetile, providing a good upgrade
> path.
>
> Judging from the discussion, I feel that most people agree with me that
> Bluetile should continue to exist as a separat project to be able to
> provide the easiest possible installation process. So it would be great
> if a 0.9.1 minor release of xmonad and xmonad-contrib could be made, to
> allow for Bluetile to be packaged.
>
> Combined with XMonad.Contrib.Bluetile it is then an easy step for
> Bluetile users to switch to xmonad should they want to start tinkering
> with the configuration.

This sounds like a great approach. We should decide how the projects
refer to each other. I'd like to strengthen our joint communities,
rather than fragment them. (Which I think will mean sharing as many
resources as make sense, and have cross-cutting components (such as
bluetile modules in XMC).

-- Don