[xmonad] "minimize" + "boringAuto" in Full-layout: focusUp and focusDown don't change focus

Jan Vornberger Jan.Vornberger at Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
Sun Dec 20 18:51:09 EST 2009

Hi!

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:13:00PM -0500, Adam Vogt wrote:
> Which order did you compose boringAuto and minimize? I just tried it,
> and the only order that works is:
>
> > layoutHook = boringAuto $ minimize Simplest -- though I really used onWorkspace too, this is the same thing.
>
> This makes sense, since boringAuto needs to be able to see which windows are
> removed by minimize.

That's the order in which I have it as well. I just realized, why it
didn't work. I also have a decoration in the mix, which - if I recall
the code correctly - removes windows that are exactly stacked on top of
each other. If I do it without the decoration it works!

> I'm not sure that it is necessary to code anything as a workaround. You
> could use the feature in BoringWindows which accepts messages to mark
> specific windows as boring.

That's what I was thinking, write a patch that will make X.L.Minimize
send out messages to mark all minimized windows as boring. That should
be a more reliable way than using boringAuto.

Regards,

Jan