[xmonad] getting a string from a user

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:54:30 EST 2009

dmenu should work. Using System.Process you can get the stdout of dmenu
(which will contain what the user typed in or the option they selected)
when run as such:

> echo "option1\noption2" | dmenu -p Input:

You should also consider using XMonad.Prompt, which should allow an
arbitrary string input optionally with completion. There are many uses of
it under the XMonad.Prompt. namespace in xmonad contrib.