[xmonad] view workspace key shortcuts

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.org
Thu Jan 29 07:18:16 EST 2009

This is probably a stupid question, and I expect you xmonad hackers will
know the answer in an instant.

I have workspaces which are called by a mix of names and numbers, like
so:

myWorkspaces = ["www", "2", "3", "mail", "gimp"] ++ map show [6..9]

Now, I know we already have default keymappings which allow you to
quickly view (or send windows to) workspaces by their number.
So, yes, I can already type Mod-1 and get to the "www" workspace, Mod-4
and get to the "mail" workspace.

And, yes, I already have the Xmonad.Actions.Commands plugin installed,
which I have set up to give a menu of workspaces when one hits the right
key-combo.

However, what I would like to do is have a simple key-combo which will
get me *directly* to a given workspace, such as Mod4-m to take me to the
"mail" workspace, and so on; I want to be able to have meaningful
shortcuts, not just numbers.

But I haven't been able to figure out what the correct command is to
bind to the keymap.  I've made guesses, but they're all illegal Haskell;
no surprise, because I don't know Haskell.  (Some day, but not now).

I mean, I know I need to add someCommand to my key-list, but what?

, ((mod4Mask, xK_m), someCommand someOptions)

Help?

Kathryn Andersen