[xmonad] Question re Layout.MagicFocus

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sat Jan 31 11:50:17 EST 2009

* Anders Engström <ankaan at gmail.com> [2009-01-31 17:38:59+0100]
> Quote from UpdatePointer source code:
> -- | Update the pointer's location to the currently focused
> -- window unless it's already there, or unless the user was changing
> -- focus with the mouse

Oh, thanks for the hint.

> It doesn't work because it doesn't update the pointer position if the
> change was made with the mouse. May be interesting to add an option in
> UpdatePointer for this... But the behaviour would feel a bit strange I
> believe.

Indeed, I haven't thought about this.

> A better option might be to add in MagicFocus so that it
> behaves like normal if the change was made with the mouse...

Or maybe update pointer in MagicFocus if the change is made with mouse.
It depends on what users expect when they use focusFollowsMouse with
MagicFocus. Or let's have both options.

> Anders Engström
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 17:26, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:
> > * David Cabana <drcabana at gmail.com> [2009-01-28 19:28:01-0500]
> >> I've recently started using Layout.MagicFocus.  It's brilliant, I love
> >> it.  But there is just one thing...
> >>
> >> I still use a mouse, and should the mouse pointer happen to drift out
> >> of the master window, all hell breaks loose as the focus repeatedly
> >> changes in a wicked loop. Switching layouts will break out of the
> >> loop, but it is annoying to have to do so.  I have tried setting
> >> focusFollowsMouse to False, with no effect.  Has anyone encountered
> >> this problem, or have a solution?
> >
> > focusFollowsMouse = False works here, are you sure it doesn't help?
> > If True, it really loops like you say. And unfortunately even
> > updatePointer doesn't help (don't know why yet).
> > If there are no other thoughts on subject, we must document that
> > MagicFocus is not compatible with focusFollowsMouse.

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain