[xmonad] Problems getting decoration to work with default tiled layout

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 16 10:39:07 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 03:02:52PM +0200, Toby Cubitt wrote:

> I've only just started using xmonad, and am hardly a haskell guru, so I'm
> probably making a stupid mistake here. But no amount of googling or
> searching this list's archives has thrown up anything useful (maybe
> because I don't know the right terms to search for).
>
> I'm trying to get window decoration to work, with the following minimal
> xmonad.hs (taken more or less verbatim from the SimpleDecoration docs):
>
> *****
> import XMonad
> import XMonad.Layout.SimpleDecoration
>
> myLayoutHook = simpleDeco shrinkText defaultTheme
>                  (layoutHook defaultConfig)
>
> main = xmonad $ defaultConfig {
>          layoutHook = myLayoutHook
>        }
> *****
>
> The problem is, with this config all my windows are full-screen, even when
> there are multiple windows open on the same workspace, i.e. no tiling at
> all. And there's no window decoration visible (other than the window border).

Hmm, that's strange.  Just to make sure we get the simple things out
of the way first---are you sure you didn't accidentally switch to
fullscreen mode (i.e. with mod-space)?  You should also try hitting
mod-shift-space to to a hard reload of the layout, sometimes that's
necessary when changing your layout (since xmonad tries very hard to
keep your layout state across restarts).

Otherwise your xmonad.hs looks fine, although I'm not very familiar
with the decoration stuff.

-Brent