[xmonad] Problems getting decoration to work with default tiled layout

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Wed Jun 17 04:46:23 EDT 2009

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 07:59:38PM +0200, Toby Cubitt wrote:
>> Could those createFontSet errors maybe indicate something going wrong with
>> the fonts used to decorate the windows?
>>
>> Toby
>
> Probably.  When a layout crashes xmonad falls back to the full screen layout,
> which explains part of your issue.  The default theme uses the font string
> "-misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*", are you missing this font?
>
> I note that xterm is failing to find its font as well.

That was indeed the problem. I installed the package containing the
missing fonts, and everything now works. (This also stops xterm from
complaining.) Thanks for your help!

For the record, in case anyone else running Gentoo also hits this problem,
the missing fonts are in the "media-fonts/font-misc-misc" package. Install
that and you should be good to go.

Toby