[xmonad] Help with ManageHook

Mike Sampson mike at sambodata.com
Wed Mar 18 04:23:01 EDT 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to write my own ManageHook however as I am still trying to learn
Haskell and don't have a 100% clear view of the internals of XMonad I'm
having some trouble.

My goal is to set the transparency of certain windows, matched via class
name, as they are created. FadeInactive.hs has a setOpacity function which
does this no problem. FadeInactive is driven from a LogHook whereas I want
to drive it from a ManageHook. What is the *magic glue* needed to do
something like:

[ className =? "URxvt" --> setOpacity window 0x99999999]

in my manage hooks. I know that setOpacity is not a ManageHook and that i
need to wrap it in something however looking at other ManageHooks, such as
doFloat, has not made things clear to me. Can anyone help with this or
provide a better way of doing it?

Regards,

Mike