[xmonad] darcs patch: ThreeColMid - Swap slave window positions

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:49:00 EDT 2009

* On Sunday, May 03 2009, Anders Engstrom wrote:

>Sun May  3 21:50:26 CEST 2009  Anders Engstrom <ankaan at gmail.com>
>  * ThreeColMid - Swap slave window positions
>  This patch will swap the positions of the two slave windows and this
>  will result in a more intuitive window order. When using focusDown
>  beginning in the master pane we will move in the following graphical
>  order 2->3->1->2->3 instead of 2->1->3->2->1. This is backwards from
>  what is expected.

So instead of going down the two columns alternating between the two,
you've changed it to go down a single column at a time?

>  The small drawback is that increasing from 2 to 3 windows (and therefore
>  also columns) will behave in a less intuitive way. The window in the
>  right column will jump to the left of the screen.

Perhaps there is a way to avoid this issue and keep your changes to the
focus behavior: I found ThreeColMid to be quite predictable when I tried it
a couple weeks ago.

Perhaps you could achieve focusing down a single column with a binding to
something like:

> windows $ W.focusDown . W.focusDown

Of course with a special case for < 3 windows. Perhaps something like
PerLayoutKeys would be required for making such configurations more sane.

>  I think that it is a good idea to make this change since I rely a lot on
>  the window order but people using WindowNavigation may be of a different
>  opinion.

WindowNavigation users are unaffected by window order, so the only issue
would be your changing of the behavior when windows are added.

>  An alternative is to add an option to select in what way to behave, but
>  that could be overkill... I leave it up to discussion and devs to
>  decide.

I agree about that being overkill.

Adam