[xmonad] Problem with manage hook

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:39:35 EDT 2009

* On Thursday, May 07 2009, Maurício wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I use this manageHook:
>
> mh = ( ask >>= doF . sink )

>Do you think I could improve my manageHook
>to solve that?

There are a few options:

   1. don't sink such windows

    Find a X11 property to identify it with xprop, then only sink such
    windows that don't match that predicate:

    > mh = fmap not (className =? "netgen") --> (ask >>= doF . sink)

   2. use a layout that respects hints

    If the window presents hints as to its desired size, using a hinted
    layout (or LayoutHints) might prevent such behavior with the original
    hook too.

   3. fix the app

    That application should accept alternate window sizes (ICCM?
    violation), without behaving so strangely.

Adam