[xmonad] EWMH Desktops and Ubuntu Karmic/Gnome 2.27.5

rupa rupa at lrrr.us
Mon Oct 5 15:22:13 EDT 2009

Latest on this is that it looks like it's a Ubuntu specific problem,
as debian is not affected. Nafai, in irc, took a look at the code for
ubuntu's diff against gnome-workspace-switcher and found some
suspicious looking stuff. It looks like they are special casing
compiz, and metacity, and not bothering to deal with other (compliant)
window managers.

Nafai was going to look into it some more when he had a chance and try
to work up a decent bug report for ubuntu devs - me personally - I
could see there's something fishy in the code, but not enough to point
to where they specifically screwed us.

The patch that looks suspicious is here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-panel/ubuntu/annotate/21/debian/patches/16_compiz_workspace_switcher.patch