[xmonad] suprised: tiling is never used

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Thu Oct 8 09:02:28 EDT 2009

Hi Lars,

I hardly every use floating windows, except with some applications that
simply don't play nicely with a tiled layout.  Like Nathan, however, I
hardly ever use more than 2-3 windows on a workspace and prefer multiple
workspaces, each dedicated to a different task.  With multiple screens,
this works particularly nicely.

The one exception to the above is when I'm browsing through many
different files in my editor at the same time.  Then I usually have them
all on my screen in a grid layout.  The one I'm currently interested in
I zoom into using MaximizeWindow and when I'm done with it, it goes back
into the grid.

Cheers,
Norbert

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 04:17:15PM +0800, Chengqi Song wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using XMonad for a long time, about one year by now. But I've just
> found that I almost never used tiling layout.
>
> The windows in my xmonad are always either maximized or floating. Because
> resizing is sometimes destructive to programs like mc, moc and mutt.
>
> I still enjoy XMonad, but just wonder anyone else never use tiling layout
> either?
>
> lars

"And it happened all the time that the compromise between two perfectly
rational alternatives was something that made no sense at all."
  -- Neal Stephenson, Anathem