[xmonad] Issue 70 in xmonad: Extension request: Command to open a temporary window manager, or replace XMonad with a different one

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Oct 28 10:42:07 EDT 2009

Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 70 by vogt.adam: Extension request: Command to open a
temporary window manager, or replace XMonad with a different one

The newwm ratpoison command is exactly `restart'.

tmpwm can also be done using restart, albeit without serialization of xmonad
state.

$HOME/bin/obtoxmd
> #!/bin/sh

> openbox
> xmonad

And I have a binding in my config:

>   ,("M-S-b", restart "/home/aavogt/bin/obtoxmd" False)

One suggestion I have is that restart, or a variant of it should use
System.Cmd.system instead of System.Cmd.rawSystem, so that one could skip
writing the shell script.

>   ,("M-S-b", restart "openbox; xmonad" False)

There should be a way to get xmonad state to restore over the swap, but in
my
short experimentation I didn't figure out a variation on obtoxmd that feeds
xmonad the old serialized state successfully.

$HOME/bin/obtoxmd -- serialization failure
> #!/bin/sh

> openbox
> xmonad $*

That script would be run with the action `restart "/home/aavogt/bin/obtoxmd"
True', but it doesn't work. I'm sure somebody can figure out a variation
that
does work.

A very related feature can be found in the XMonad.Util.Replace module in
contrib.