[xmonad] dead spaces / monitor borders

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 05:22:42 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am using two displays (with different resolutions), united by RandR.

Sometimes I access my desktop via VNC: one big, full-screen VNC window
covers both monitors. (I am not even running any window manager at the
client side.)

However, the information about the two physical monitors
(and the resulting dead space) is not transmitted by VNC
to the server, so the applications (including the window manager),
which are running at the server, have no idea about
the physical layout.

Question: can Xmonad be configured to
- handle the two displays as separate entities (despite
  being covered by a single VNC session), and
- consider the dead space?

If you, how do I do that?

(Please note, I am not yet a Xmonad user,
but I have a feeling that I might be, very soon.)

Thank your for your help:

    Kristof Csillag