[xmonad] darcs patch: Clean .hi and .o files when recompiling

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Sep 10 04:18:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.09.2009, 17:51 -0500 schrieb Spencer Janssen:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:18:39AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I???d like to see this in the next release, to reduce the delta between xmonad as
> > shipped by debian and as it is on hackage:
>
> Maybe I missed the original patch (I haven't paid much attention to xmonad in
> the past two months), but I would really appreciate seeing patches when/before
> they're applied downstream.  If the fix is important enough to apply in Debian,
> it is probably important enough to at least consider upstream.

sorry for the late submission, I had planned to bring it up much
earlier, but forgot about it.

> Speaking of "delta", are there any other non-integration patches that Debian
> applies?

The delta can be checked here:
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/xmonad

At the moment, it only contains the change of the default terminal from
xterm to x-terminal-emulator, so nothing interesting for upstream.

> > Wed Sep  9 10:15:57 CEST 2009  Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
> >   * Clean .hi and .o files when recompiling
> >   This patch is applied to the Debian packages since a few months. During the
> >   last ghc upgrade in Debian, people had to this manually to get their xmonad
> >   compilable again. This patch should mitigate this a bit.
>
> Regarding this specific change, perhaps we can delete interface and object
> files immediately after compiling?  We already instruct GHC to ignore them, so
> they're just taking up disk space.  Even better, can we tell GHC to put those
> files in /tmp and clean them up when compilation is done?

I’d be more than fine with that as well.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner