[xmonad] Issue 390 in xmonad: xmobar crashes after some minutes of work

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Apr 12 10:03:35 EDT 2010

Owner: ----

New issue 390 by muellerto: xmobar crashes after some minutes of work

What steps will reproduce the problem?
Difficult to explain. In my case xmobar disappears completely from the
screen and the process ends surely after some minutes of work. After I
started X11 with Xmonad and xmobar I can change the focus between
applications, I can switch virtual screens, several times, everything looks
great. But after not more than five minutes xmobar dies completely. I can't
tell a more concrete reason for this.

I see only the remaining xmobar output as long as the screen isn't painted
again. After I switch to another virtual screen I see only the configured
black gap on top of the screen.

xmobar 0.9.2, xmonad 0.9, Arch Linux x86_64

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".
The relevant lines in my xmonad.hs are:

main = do
          handle <- spawnPipe "xmobar"
          xmonad defaultConfig
           {

This has been working very well for more than a year or so. I didn't change
anything on xmonad.hs nor on .xmobarrc.

The problem came with the last update of ghc (6.12) provided by the Arch
Build System. I recompiled Xmonad manually and this runs very well. Now I
also recompiled xmobar but that didn't solve the problems.