[xmonad] Left pointer gone, again

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Apr 21 21:04:02 EDT 2010

On 22/04/10 00:28, Wirt Wolff wrote:
> Excerpts from Magnus Therning's message of Wed Apr 21 05:40:26 -0600 2010:
>>> Excerpts from Magnus Therning's message of Tue Apr 20 11:22:51 -0600 2010:
>
>> I'm logging in to my Gnome desktop using GDM.  I configure the pointer via
>> the Gnome configuration utilities.
[..]
> Did you just upgrade to xmonad 0.9 or start using one of the desktop
> configs?  In this case it seems likely the desktops startupHook is creating
> the problem. I'd try first with xmonad's startupHook cut down to `return ()'
> or `ewmhDesktopsStartupHook' as appropriate, then re-login.

It's been a while so I don't remember whether I noticed it after an upgrade.
In any case I did what you suggested and it worked fine.

It turns out that the gnomeConfig startupHook is defined as 'gnomeRegister >>
startupHook desktopConfig' and desktopConfig in turn sets the pointer.  I
added a custom startupHook to my config like so:

    main = xmonad $ gnomeConfig
        { modMask    = mod4Mask
        , workspaces = myWorkspaces
        , keys       = myKeys
        , layoutHook = myLayoutHook
        , manageHook = myManageHook
        -- by default the Gnome Cfg uses the Desktop startupHook, but it
screws with the pointer!
        , startupHook = gnomeRegister
        }

That takes care of it.

I'm tempted to raise a bug on the gnomeConfig, since it seems rather silly to
have a basic Gnome configuration for Xmonad that screws with the mouse pointer
like this :-)

Thanks for your help!

/M