[xmonad] UTF8 output from xmonad mangled

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Apr 30 09:21:21 EDT 2010

Norbert Zeh [2010.04.30 0930 -0300]:
> Khudyakov Alexey [2010.04.29 1720 +0400]:
> > В сообщении от 29 апреля 2010 15:29:20 вы написали:
> > >
> > > Here is patch to fix this. It does work with GHC6.12 but I couldn't test it
> > > with 6.10 or older
> > >

> Well, the easier patch at the moment seems to be not to call
> encodeOutput in DynamicLog.hs.  This doesn't seem to break anything
> else.
>
> However, now here's a problem with xmobar, which rather seems to be an
> X11 problem.  Certain characters (e.g. \x2192 (right arrow)) still get
> mangled.  I was able to verify that they are still intact immediately
> before xmobar calls wcDrawImageString to render them on screen.  So
> something must be going wrong inside wcDrawImageString.

Further to the point, the same problem happens with wcDrawImageString
inside xmonad.  I just added \x2192 to the run-or-raise prompt in
XMonadContrib, recompiled, and I get the same garbled output as in
xmobar.  Yet, xterm and emacs display the character fine, using exactly
the same font as I use for xmonad's prompts and for xmobar.

N.