[xmonad] EWMH Panel in Haskell

Matthias-Christian Ott ott at mirix.org
Mon Feb 8 12:59:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:43:26AM -0700, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> Hi Matthias-Christian,

Hi Sergey,

> Excerpts from Matthias-Christian Ott's message of Mon, 08 Feb 2010
> 17:24 +0100:
>
> > I tried xmobar, which had problems with background colors, and dzen2
> > (with dmplex and multiple instances). None of these status bars
> > supports mouse interaction, so they aren't a choice for me.
>
> That's not exactly correct. Dzen2 DOES support mouse interaction, at
> least the svn version. I don't use mouse interaction with xmonad's
> status bar (though it can be implemented), but I have several gadgets
> based on dzen2 and using mouse clicks.

Yes, you are right. You could write a hook to read input from dzen2
or use wmctrl for this [1]. But dzen2 also does single-pass rendering,
which isn't acceptable for me.

It's not that what I want to have is impossible with existing software
and some tricks, but I prefer a solution with a good rendering engine
(cairo and pango?) and support for higher order functions.

Of course a solution that is not "quick and dirty" takes more time to
develop and design, but I think it could be useful to the community.

The problem is just, that I'm not a particullary good haskel programmer
and probably won't write good code at the first try. So if any Haskell
wizard would be willing to write the initial code or there is good
existing code, that would be much better.

> Cheers,
> Sergey

Regards,
Matthias-Christian