[xmonad] Splitting into xmonad-core/xmonad/xmonad-contrib; WAS Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:06:05 EST 2010

I don't see the point of adding another package, what problem does it really
solve?  Some of the arguments for adding a third package border on
intellectual dishonesty: we can't claim that xmonad is the same minimal window
manager if we quadruple the lines of code used in the default configuration.

I'd like to see concrete suggestions of what ought to be added if we made this
xmonad/core/contrib split.

Regarding "sane defaults", I think there are just a few things that need to
be added to xmonad proper:
 - Full screen windows
 - ICCCM focus protocol/make Java work
 - Handling of a few window types: dock, desktop, etc.
 - Status bar without editing xmonad.hs (current plan is to do this via EWMH)

Each of these could be added to the xmonad we know now without changing
packaging policy.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen