[xmonad] Splitting into xmonad-core/xmonad/xmonad-contrib; WAS Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 12 00:36:38 EST 2010

Quoting Spencer Janssen <spencerjanssen at gmail.com>:

>  (1) Full screen windows
>  (2) ICCCM focus protocol/make Java work
>  (3) Handling of a few window types: dock, desktop, etc.
>  (4) Status bar without editing xmonad.hs (current plan is to do
> this via EWMH)

These are a good start. I assume (1) means (isFullscreen ->
doFullFloat), and (3) means sticking avoidStruts/manageDocks in the
core. To those, I would add smartBorders, modMask = mod4Mask,
something to address
http://www.reddit.com/r/xmonad/comments/aaexm/gnome_do_in_xmonad/c0glyav (not
sure if there's even anything in contrib right now for this), and
perhaps switching the default layouts to one of the hinted ones (can't
count how many people complain about urxvt's, emacs' and vim's
misbehavior in #xmonad). I think gwern's suggestion to have some kind
of welcome-message for first-time users should also be considered part
of the proposal.

2 cents, etc. etc.
~d