[xmonad] Splitting into xmonad-core/xmonad/xmonad-contrib; WAS Small announce about the completion of the bluetile merge

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:31:31 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:25:37AM EST, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Chris Jones <cjns1989 at gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> Hold on. Didn't you earlier write that
>
> > xmonad 0.8 as shipped by debian squeeze let me do everything I needed
> without additional customization.

> That seems like both customization & usage of -contrib modules (at
> least 4 of them). What then did you mean earlier?

Yes, that was earlier.

But then, I figured that creating an xmonad.hs file specifying a
terminal definition of 'xterm -tn xterm-256color' was cleaner than
adding setting/exporting the TERM environment variable in my
.bash_profile.

Likewise, as described in my previous message, I have written a few
short scripts that use GNU/screen's hard status line to display system
monitoring information, the current date/time & outside temperature.

This works regardless of the window manager, but having xmobar display
the same data would be a better solution.

I did not have to do any of that to have a perfectly workable
environment. Just a couple of minor tweaks to improve on my current
setup was all I changed from the default configuration.

In other words, I reiterate that where I'm concerned:

"xmonad 0.8 as shipped by debian squeeze let me do everything I needed
 without additional customization."

Regarding "usage of -contrib modules.." I assume you mean the import
statements?

As stated in my previous message, I have absolutely no clue what these
are for, what they do, whether I need them, and if so, why.. etc.

I believe I copy-pasted them from John Goertzen's excellent step by step
tutorial on how to integrate xmobar to xmonad. Since I have to boot to a
different partition/system to configure xmobar, and since everything was
working the way I wanted, I didn't look into these aspects further.

I am pretty sure I could remove most of the stuff in the configuration
file, but I have not been able to locate a detailed manual -- step by
step is another good way to put it -- that describes what exactly I am
supposed to do to configure xmonad.

Which was precisely the object of my previous message.

CJ