[xmonad] [newbie] {visual preview of workspaces, ignoring current workspace} when using Actions.CycleWS

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 13:02:43 EST 2010

Hello,

I am brand new to xmonad and it has blown my mind away. FINALLY being able to discretionarily assign a workspace to a physical screen is amazing. : )

Two brief questions:

1 - Is it possible to get some sort of visual preview of what is in the next or previous workspace when moving with next|prevWS? (A little bit like regular window managers bring up for you to pick among windows when you press Alt-Tab?) Currently, I cycle blindly among all nine workspaces until I stumble upon the one I had in mind.

2- In the attached xmonad.hs, I have tried to combine cycling with Actions.CycleWS with the non-greedy view. My goal is that, when the focus is on a particular (physical) screen, doing (next|prev)WS will *skip* over the workspace currently visible in the *other* (physical) screen. In other words, I would like the focus never to leave the physical screen I am using, and that while cycling the workspace currently in the other screen would be ignored. Is there even a way to do this...?

In any case, many thanks to the developers for this awesome tool!

cheers

lara