[xmonad] Recommended setup for coding

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:02:52 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:10:02PM +0100, Ralph Hofmann wrote:
> The problem persists.
>
> But: The only window, that makes xmonad hang, seems to be the terminal
> window, where I killed metacity and started xmonad. As long, as I keep
> it open, everything seems to be fine. I can open another terminal and
> close it without a problem. But as soon, as I kill the switching
> terminal, xmonad hangs. Other windows are having problems only after
> that.
>
> When I start a session with xmonad from the beginning, in order to avoid
> the terminal, xmonad hangs instantly.
>
> xmonad.errors is empty and Xsession-errors has only some errors about
> "atk-bridge-WARNING: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session
> startup.", which I am having since long before I started using xmonad.
> Nothing about xmonad.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralph

I think I see what is going on.  When you close the terminal, a SIGHUP signal
is sent.  The default action for that signal is to immediately exit.  You have
a few options:
    * don't close that terminal
    * don't start xmonad from a terminal; start it with GNOME's regular
      facilities for starting the WM
    * run xmonad in a wrapper such as screen or nohup

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen