[xmonad] small problems with doFullFloat

Lara Michaels laramichaels1978 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 13:16:35 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I love using xmonad and would like to thank the developers for this wonderful piece of software. It really added a lot to the usability of my computer!

Three small issues that I have been living with for some time, but am wondering if others know how to solve:

To make Youtube videos display in fullscreen, I googled and then appended this last line to my myManageHook:

myManageHook =
    [
      appName  =? "Skype"   --> doFloat,
      -- other lines with appName/className/title --> doFloat
      composeOne [ isFullscreen -?> doFullFloat ]
    ]

[Am I doing this right?]

Problem 1: This solution sort of worked: now the Firefox window expands after I click the "fullscreen" button on Youtube, but not as it should since the Youtube control bar stays halfway across the screen. [See attached screenshot.] It looks as if the control bar is being positioned "too early" while the window is still being maximized. That is the first problem.

Problem 2: The second problem is that the moment I move focus away from this screen (I have two monitors) the full-screen video disappears. Eg, if I move my mouse to the second monitor to edit an email then the full-screen video disappears.

If anyone can help me solve these two issues, I would be very grateful. I am using xmonad 0.9.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 and am attaching my xmonad.hs.

Best,
Lara