[xmonad] Profiling XMonad

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 08:19:33 EDT 2010

Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> writes:

> * On Monday, June 14 2010, Don Stewart wrote:
>
>>trupill:
>>> Thanks very much. Just one more question: do I have to change anything when
>>> compiling xmonad and xmonad-contrib, or just use those arguments when calling
>>> 'xmonad --recompile'?
>>>

>>No, you'll have to compile xmonad by hand (with cabal configure -..flags
>>; cabal build ; cabal install).
>>
>>-- Don
>
> You need to call ghc yourself instead of `xmonad --recompile', once
> you've built the xmonad library with profiling (as Don outlined). xmonad
> calls ghc for you with more or less:
>
>  ghc --make xmonad.hs -i -ilib -fforce-recomp -v0 -o ~/.xmonad/xmonad-$arch-$os
>
> And `xmonad --recompile' doesn't listen to any additional flags. So
> you'll have to call ghc yourself, and make sure that you directly run
> your compiled config with appropriate flags for the RTS.

I wonder: is there any way we can pass additional flags to ghc if we
wanted to (say, to enable -O2 or something)?  Maybe even pass extra
flags to xmonad when restarting it so that we could set up profiling
within xmonad itself (though I'm not sure where the resultant profiling
output would go... ~/ ?).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com