[xmonad] Issue 398 in xmonad: Make Keyboard Keys Position Dependant not Value Dependant

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Jun 19 20:14:22 EDT 2010

Owner: ----

New issue 398 by robertmassaioli: Make Keyboard Keys Position Dependant not
Value Dependant

Prenote: This is a wishlist item and not critical.

What is the problem?

The problem is that anybody that creates an xmonad.hs for qwerty, for
example, excludes anybody else using a different keyboard layout. And vice
versa. However, when I create my xmonad.hs I find that I often only care
about keyboard position and not the actual letter that I am pressing. You
should be able to make your keyboard layout by specifying keyboard
positions rather than the actual keys themselves.

What is the expected result?

This would allow better sharing of XMonad config files between everyone.
And for those that specify by position, like me, it would be easier and
more portable. I don't know how much effort it would really be though, but
maybe you could change something small about it to make it work for you.

I have a dummy function in my xmonad.hs that I may start using for that
sort of portability called 'convertKeys':
http://github.com/robertmassaioli/xmonad.hs/blob/master/xmonad.hs