[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: XMonad.Core: rw recompilation

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:00:47 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM,  <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 patch for repository http://code.haskell.org/xmonad:
>
> Sat Apr 10 13:45:52 EDT 2010  gwern0 at gmail.com
>  * XMonad.Core: rw recompilation
>  This diverts the intermediate *.o *.hi files to /tmp, so they don't clutter up ~/.xmonad/

Actually, I'm rethinking this one. dons suggests
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1411089/how-to-stop-ghc-from-generating-intermediate-files)
that one could specify as the redirect target /dev/null, and looking
at the GHC manual again
(http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/users_guide/separate-compilation.html#options-output),
I see that there's a shortcut for redirecting all the intermediates:

"-outputdir dir

    The -outputdir option is shorthand for the combination of -odir,
-hidir, and -stubdir."

So if we used "-outputdir /dev/null", we don't have to worry about
cluttering up /tmp (as I think someone complained about in connection
to mueval), we don't have to do a call to getTempDir (saving a line &
import), and the compilation line itself increase only minimally.

I think /dev/null exists on any system Xmonad is likely to run on, and
so we can hardcode it. Thoughts?

--
gwern