[xmonad] Full example of IndependentScreens

Linus Arver linusarver at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:09:32 CEST 2011

>    Have one problem though , Multiple Screens , can't wrap my head around how
>    xmonad handles that default and want to go for the way I'm used to have it
>    work with separate workspaces for each screen..

In Xmonad, there are N workspaces (you can define as many as you like).
Most people have 9 of them, because that's the default config. I
personally have 22 workspaces (hotkeyed to modm + 1-9, F1-F12). Each
workspace can have N windows in it. Anyway, each screen (monitor) can
view any 1 workspace at a time. That's all there's to it...

>    Found the IndependentScreens thing in the documentation but can't figure
>    out how to get it in the configuration so needs some help..

The "Usage" section at
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-IndependentScreens.html
seems to have everything you're looking for. After editing your
xmonad.hs, just run "ghci" on it: ghci xmonad.hs. If you get any errors,
then your config is messed up.

>    Could someone give me a working example of a Gnome enables xmonad config
>    that uses IndependentScreens?

A quick google search got me this:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2009-December/009466.html
Maybe you should ask the user there about it...

Personally though, I'd just stick with the default. There are lots of
neat contrib modules out there (e.g., CycleWS) that rely on the default
setup (1 set of workspaces). You'd have to hack all of those modules to
get them working with your IndependentScreens setup.

-Linus