[xmonad] Two dashes freeze shellPrompt

Dunric dunric29a at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 23:43:16 CEST 2011

I can reproduce this issue even in darcs versions of xmonad &
xmonad-contrib.
I also can confirm it does depend on current locales. If UTF-8 locales
are set, shellPrompt hangs 100% of times after two dashes are typed in.
If running under a non-UTF-8 locales like LANG="en_US", LC_ALL="en_US",
shellPrompt doesn't stop working.

Bug could be fixed as a side-effect of Encoding task force (see
http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=348 for details)

David

> I'm running the darcs version and can't reproduce this.  Entering any number of
> dashes doesn't seem to do anything on my machine.  From that I would suspect
> that some post-0.9.2 patch must have fixed the issue.  So in my opinion the
> right course of action would be to upgrade to a later xmonad version, not to
> file a bug report.
>
> Cheers,
> Norbert
>
> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [2011.08.16 0838 +1000]:
>> On 16 August 2011 08:01, Dunric<dunric29a at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does anybody else experienced the strange shellPrompt lockup after two
>>> consecutive dashes are entered ?
>>>
>>> 1) invoke XMonad.Prompt.Shell.shellPrompt with defaultXPConfig
>>> 2) type anywhere two dashes ("--") in Run: prompt