[xmonad] mod-shift-q is Harmful

Michael Witten mfwitten at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 08:44:40 CET 2011

I just lost a lot of computation when a long-running program of
mine was unceremoniously destroyed by xmonad.

Now, I take almost full responsibility for this mishap, because I
*did* in fact instruct xmonad to obliterate my entire X11 session
by issuing the keys `mod-shift-q'. However, that instruction was
a mistake; I didn't at all have that action in mind when my
fingers went for it---and I'm a longtime user who almost never
presses that!

A goal of xmonad is to make the user more efficient, but I think
this kind of efficiency is not what is intended!

I'm no fan of forcibly hand-holding people, but I think it would
be wise at least to show people up front how to configure xmonad
to confirm this request (especially if it can be determined that
information would be destroyed). Even better, a vanilla xmonad
should probably come already configured with such a basic safety
mechanism (a power user who doesn't want to be pestered with
such trivial second-guessing could disable it).

Sincerely,
Michael Witten