[xmonad] toggle to last window/workspace

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Thu Jan 6 22:19:24 CET 2011

Hello! Long time user, first time on this list! I have looked through xmonad
contrib and google for the ability to toggle to the last window, but haven't
found it yet.

The exact behavior I am looking for is something that traditional window
managers do- Alt+Tab on Windows. This is most useful for smaller screens
where all the programs are maximized so that unfocused programs are hidden.
I have a workspace with 3 windows: A, B, C ..., and a is focused. I switch
focus to B. I would like a shortcut to switch focus to the previous focused
window (in this case A). If I use that shortcut again I will focus to the
previously focused window (window B). I could go back and forth over time
and never even notice window C. ideally with Alt+Tab holding down Alt
(Alt+Tab+Tab) would reach window C.

Is there an extension for this already? If not, can someone give me a
pointer to how I would implement this?

I am also interested in a similar ability, but for switching between
workspaces.

Thanks,
Greg Weber