[xmonad] Mod-P blanks screen (XMonad.Config.Gnome)

Thedward Blevins thedward at barsoom.net
Tue Mar 8 14:06:30 CET 2011

On Mar 8, 2011 3:12 AM, "Max Rabkin" <max.rabkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using XMonad.Config.Gnome (at least, its keybindings) under Ubuntu
> 10.10 (Maverick), through gnome (with XMonad set as my window
> manager). My xmonad.hs is copied from another machine, which is
> running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid), where it works fine.
>
> Instead of opening the "run application" dialog, pressing mod-p (mod =
> left super) blanks the screen for about a second. When it comes back
> on, there is still no dialog.
>
> Has anybody else encountered this, or know a solution?

This is a "feature" of this version of Gnome. That is, it is intentionally
chosen behavior. Some laptops have an emable external display button that
emits Super-P so Gnome eats it and tries to enable a second monitor. It is
not configurable. If you feel sufficiently motivated,  you could download
the source and comment that bit out. There is a bug report,  but it has
largely been ignored since it behaves as designed.