[xmonad] register XMonad as window manager with X

Jochen Keil jochen.keil at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 09:38:46 CET 2011

Hi Brandon,

On 11/06/2011 12:32 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 18:44, Jochen Keil <jochen.keil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have switched from gnome to xfce and came across some issues with xfce
>> + xmonad. One more prominent issue was that xfce4-panel checks if a
>> window manager is running. It does so by looking through all atoms with
>> XGetSelectionOwner().
>> However, XMonad does not set a window manager atom using
>> XSetSelectionOwner(). Therefore it takes some time until xfce4-panel
>>

> You're running stock 0.9.1/0.9.2, which is effectively 2 years old at this
> point.  Upgrade to the darcs version; the correct version of your code
> (which also handles replacing and handoff from a currently running window
> manager, unlike yours) is already there.

I'm running already the latest darcs version:

[3049 /data/src/xmonad/xmonad.darcs$] darcs log --last 1
Thu Oct 13 18:25:09 CEST 2011  Daniel Wagner <daniel at wagner-home.com>
  * change the default mod+p binding to keep up with changes to dmenu

The code for replacing and handoff is actually there - that's where i've
taken some of these snippets above.

However, there is no general registration code at startup.
xSetSelectionOwner is only called in line 390 from

replace :: Display -> ScreenNumber -> Window -> IO ()

Am I supposed to start XMonad always using the --replace option?

Sincerely,

Jochen