[xmonad] Problem with custom layout

Phil Thomson xmonad at philthomson.ca
Tue Nov 8 09:13:40 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have been trying to build a custom layout for my small-screen
netbook. The layout consists of a master area which contains one window
and (if there is more than one window) a slave area in which all other
windows are tabbed.

My xmonad.hs is here: http://hpaste.org/53712

The magic comes from this line in myLayoutHook:

addTabsAlways shrinkText myTabConfig (mastered 0.05 0.5 Simplest)

which relies on XMonad.Layout.Master, XMonad.Layout.Simplest and
XMonad.Layout.Tabbed.

The problem for me is that when I have, say, 3 windows open, and window
#3 (the second window in the tabbed slave area) is focused, if I switch
to window #1 (the master window), then window #2 (the first window in
the tabbed slave area) is raised (though not focused) so that I can no
longer see window #3. The behaviour I would like is for window #3 to
remain visible when I switch to the master window and, more generally,
for whatever slave window has been visible to remain visible when I
switch to the master area.

I have tried another two-paned layout without being able to eliminate
the problematic behaviour.

Does anyone know 1) another way to implement the layout I am looking
for with the behaviour I want or 2) a way to produce the behaviour I
desire with my existing custom layout?

Phil