[xmonad] Volume Keys

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Fri Nov 18 12:21:38 CET 2011

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:01:24 +0100, Marco Guidetti <marco at marcoguidetti.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thank you for all the feedback about the xmobar stuff: I have resolved
> in using an external script which manages both xmobar instances,
> except for the one that is with spawnPipe. It works and seems
> reasonable.
>
> Now, there is something more I'd like to fix. I have a Lenovo X220,
> and I am trying to use the mute/volume buttons.
> I have read something online about using this:
>
> ((0, XF86AudioLowerVolume), spawn "amixer -c 0 set Master 2dB-")
> ((0, XF86AudioRaiseVolume), spawn "amixer -c 0 set Master 2dB+")
>
> [in this case xmonad --recompile returns something along the line of
> "there is no XF86AudioRaiseVolume in current context"]

The problem is/was that these keys are named a little differently in the
Haskell bindings:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/X11/1.5.0.0/doc/html/Graphics-X11-ExtraTypes-XF86.html

Another option would be to use XMonad.Utils.EZConfig.additionalKeysP,
which allows you to specify the key combinations as a string,
e.g. "<XF86AudioLowerVolume>".

Cheers,
Daniel