[xmonad] xmobar

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 06:29:25 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:28:45 GMT, Marco Guidetti wrote:
<snip>

You could use xmonadpropwrite[1]. It writes to an X property on the root
window with the string. You then add an XPropertyLog command in xmobar's
configuration to pick up that property and use it. This gives you one
place to execute xmobar instances (xinitrc) and they can be launced
independently of each other and xmonad.

My setup for xmobar[2][3] and xmonad[4] are available. The statusBar
function in XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog is what I use (it's near the
bottom). The argument to xmonadpropwrite is the property to write to
(with a default of _XMONAD_LOG). Snippets for xinit are under
config/xinit for each tree linked.

--Ben

[1]It's in xmobar's repository under samples/. It's installed on Fedora,
but you may need to file a bug for your distribution since it's not
built by default.
[2]http://git.benboeckel.net/?p=dotfiles.git;a=tree;f=dotfiles/base/X11/xmobar
[3]My config uses UTF-8 which gitweb barfs on (the raw view is fine).
Planning on moving to cgit at some point...
[4]http://git.benboeckel.net/?p=dotfiles.git;a=tree;f=dotfiles/base/X11/xmonad