[xmonad] XMonad and Gnome3

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Nov 23 10:40:51 CET 2011

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2011, 23:08 +1100 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> > > The latest xmonad packages in unstable have files included that allow
> > > you to select "GNOME3 + xmonad" in gdm3, this works fine here.
> >
> > Thats whay I'm using. Works fine until I set either Circle of SimpleFLoat
> > as the first layout. Currently I have:
> >
> > myLayout = simpleFloat ||| Circle ||| tiled ||| Mirror tiled ||| Full
> >
> > Removing the first two an XMonad/Gnome3 starts correctly.
>
> So if you are using
>         $ cat /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/xmonad.session
>         [GNOME Session]
>         Name=Xmonad/GNOME
>         RequiredComponents=gnome-settings-daemon;gnome-panel;
>         RequiredProviders=windowmanager;notifications;
>         DefaultProvider-windowmanager=xmonad
>         DefaultProvider-notifications=notification-daemon

The one I had was missing notifications from the RequiredProviders
line, but the problem persists even after I added it.

Did manage to find the problem though, I had a startupHook defined
as :

   myStartupHook = return ()

which seems to be contrry to what gnome-session is expecting.

Thanks for your help Joachim.

Cheers,
Erik