[xmonad] What XMonad Configuration Best Replicates Default Ion3 Behavior and Feature Set?

Matt T. Proud ⚔ matt.proud at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:02:57 CET 2011

Hi all,

I'm new to Haskell and am approaching XMonad as a want-to-be-former
Ion user, mainly because Ion is now abandonware.  In any case, I would
like to find a configuration for XMonad that best mimics default Ion
behavior.

I published this question to Stack Exchange a while back but never got
any useful feedback: http://superuser.com/q/348919/102354.  If you
have used Ion in the past or are relatively familiar with its
behavior, I'd love for you to chime-in, either here or in the Stack
Exchange question.

A snapshot of my question is as follows:

"""Not being very familiar with Haskell and lamenting that [Ion 3][1]
is now abandonware, I am curious if anyone out there has found a way
of replicating the default Ion 3 behavior and aesthetics in
[XMonad][2].  If I can't have a near-exact replica of Ion 3-style
behavior in XMonad, here is what would be critical to me:

 1. Virtual desktops that are empty by default and that spawn
full-screen applications, which can be split horizontally or
vertically evenly, leaving an empty adjacent pane.
 2. The panes, which house open windows, are manually resizable,
preferably via keyboard.
 3. The panes exhibit tabbed behavior, meaning that they can house
multiple windows.
 4. Windows can be tagged and moved between panes / virtual desktops
via keyboard sequence.
 5. A given window may be temporarily exploded into full-screen mode
via keyboard sequence.
 6. Each virtual desktop may have its panes divided independently of
other virtual desktops.