[xmonad] Possible bug in XMonad.Util.Scratchpad

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Sep 2 19:45:21 CEST 2011

I'm not familiar with the tabbed layout or scratchpad, but this
behavior is almost certainly related to this bug:

My guess is that the scratchpad window is put in the floating layer.
However, even floating windows remain in the focus stack of the tiled
layer; since z-order is determined by the focus stack, focusing a
floating window can change the z-order of the tiled layer.

This is a long-standing annoyance, and it's a bit tricky to work out a
solution that

1. behaves better than the current behavior
2. is predictable
3. preserves property that floating and then sinking a window is a no-op
4. keeps all windows focusable using the focusUp and focusDown operations

~d