[xmonad] Comparison of "extensible window managers"

Teika Kazura teika at lavabit.com
Thu Sep 15 08:13:22 CEST 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:07:04 -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> > [...]
> While it was originally introduced to allow multiple monitor resolutions to
> coexist

Probably you're talking about RandR, and you're right. Another
unfortune is that it's (also) poorly documented. Though I'm not sure
if meddling RandR to achieve large desktop is the best way...

> (There is an additional limitation based
> on protocol pixel addressability ― +/- 32767, IIRC ― but I think modern
> servers have extensions to correct that

16-bitness is part of X11 protocol (Xlib functions do take 32 bits
arguments, but don't get fooled) and it persists. "X12" page
(http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12) says:

 15 bit coordinate limit
 Ouch. 32768 pixels at 100dpi is 8.3 meters.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)