[xmonad] xmonad as a stand-alone?

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 19 15:58:03 CEST 2011

Quoting Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com>:

> I would like to be able to boot my system straight into xmonad, without
> having to have any particular desktop environment installed. Currently, I
> run LXDE and am able to choose xmonad as my wm, but LXDE is of course still
> present, and I would like to be rid of it.

The right place to look is in the documentation for your display
manager. Some popular ones include gdm, kdm, xdm, slim, or none at all
(e.g. just using startx). Use pgrep or poke around in your list of
services started at boot-time to figure out which one you're using.

If you have trouble, post what you've discovered here and somebody who
uses that same manager may be able to help.

~d