[xmonad] Virtual desktops?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:59:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 05:45, Christopher Svanefalk <
christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am very used to working with virtual desktops in conventional WMs, and
> its an important part of my workflow. I was wondering if I can do the same
> thing in Xmonad? What I want is to be able to specify a number of such
> virtual desktops (or virtual monitors if you like), and then easily switch
> between them using some keybinding (preferably one I can mod myself).

mod-1 through mod-9 in standard Xmonad.  Add shift to move the focused
window to the specified workspace instead.  You can also use ManageHooks to
programmatically assign workspaces to windows; see
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Doc-Extending.html.

Also see http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Image:Xmbindings.png which is still
correct for current Xmonad versions.